Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

So, I went to the Kentucky Derby....

And I have a story, a really good story, I want to share with you. I've waited all week, so incredibly excited to put my Kentucky Derby experience into words, but of course...when it comes time to spill, I don't even know where to begin. And, I begin into this knowing nothing I say will do justice to the kind of day I had.  

In short, I began the day as a (pageant) Queen, then I met a (real) Royal Prince, drank a mint julep while watching the Derby from the finish line, and came home with the most magical story.

All the hats before the Red Carpet



I'll begin. Ramsey (remember Ramsey?) invited me to walk the Kentucky Derby Red Carpet with her as Miss Kentucky titleholders. In all reality, I could stop here, describe that experience and leave you with a wonderful story. But, I won't. :)




However, the Red Carpet experience was awesome! Thank you to DeDe Cox for allowing us to have those moments in the spotlight. I managed to sneak in a few pictures with famous faces!
With Terry O'Quinn (aka: John Locke) from 'Lost'
With Miranda Lambert
When Ramsey and I reached the end of the Red Carpet and became regular people again we met back up with our fabulous friend, Todd! (Miss Central Kentucky and Miss Kentucky Committee Member) Ramsey, Todd, and I had made plans to spend the day together--guaranteeing a good time no matter what.

The three of us stood around talking and taking pictures with passersby. We didn't expect it, but the sashes we wore had drawn people's attention. All afternoon we were stopped for picture after picture (no complaints) and fielded countless questions about our titles. Before heading to our next destination, we stopped for one more picture with a group of sharp-dressed men. They had all the usual questions:  

"What do these titles mean?"
"Where is Monticello?"
"When is Miss Kentucky?"
"How can you be best friends when you have to compete with each other?!"  

Next, a question I couldn't answer.
"You know who you just took a photo with, don't you?"
I said, no, glancing back at the gentlemen he was referring to looking for a clue that might give away his identity.
"That's the Prince Albert of Monaco."
"As in Grace Kelly's son, Prince Albert of Monaco?"
"Yes."

I once googled pictures of Grace Kelly on the internet, in awe of her timeless beauty, imagining one day I would wear a dress like this on the Miss America stage or my wedding day. Now, I'm shaking hands with her son, a Prince.

...little ole me from Greensburg, Kentucky.
Grace Kelly in "the dress"

Next thing I know, I am on the Skye View Terrace with Ramsey, Todd, and the Prince of Monaco. He wanted to treat us to the "real" Derby experience, something we thought we had already gotten, but no. We simply had no idea. The Terrace was packed with celebrity housewives, country music stars, professional athletes, pro team owners, and household names I probably passed right by.

And here I am, little ole me from Greensburg, Kentucky. 

As the day progressed, the three of us learned what we had been invited to be a part of. I was a participant of a longstanding and very delicate tradition. A legacy started by John B. Kelly, brother of Grace, that began with a trip to the Kentucky Derby with friends and fraternity brothers. They made it back to the Derby year after year after year and, 69 years later, the sons and grandsons of those men are still traveling to Kentucky on that first Saturday in May, keeping the tradition alive.  

And here I am, little ole me from Greensburg, Kentucky.

I snacked, sipped a Mint Julep, took a few pictures for Map Dot, Kentucky, and watched the races. Standing on the balcony with Todd, he looked at me once and asked very seriously "how did we even get here?" I didn't know, but it was beginning to feel less and less strange.

Looking back on it, the longer I spent wandering the Terrace and getting to know the personalities and life stories of these incredible people, the theme of my day went from "little ole me" to "we're not that different." I found I had things in common with each person I spoke with; small details, but important ones nonetheless. I didn't feel the pressure to impress or be someone who I wasn't. And so, I was myself the whole day: Kiley from Greensburg, Kentucky, enjoying the 140th Annual Kentucky Derby.

We lined the Terrace Balcony to await the running of the Derby and sang My Old Kentucky Home, (I will admit, I got a little teary-eyed). As soon as the race began, it was over, and California Chrome had bested the rest in the most exciting two minutes in sports. I saw him cross the finish line, I was just close enough to see the smile on the jockey's face as he realized what was happening, and I saw it all with two of my best friends, Ramsey and Todd...oh, and my new friend, Prince Albert of Monaco.


I went to bed with all the details buzzing around in my head. Ramsey and I shuffled through them as we fell asleep, and I had intentions of including them all. As the week passed and I made the swift return back to the reality, the thing I remember the most is not the people I met or the titles they had. It was how much fun I had with Todd and Ramsey, and how, as Ramsey said, it wouldn't have been the same with anyone else!






1 comment:

  1. That's an incredible story of your surreal experience! I'm glad you had such a fun, memorable day. I love the hat!

    ReplyDelete