Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Perfect Day with Papaw


Last Friday brought a transformation of one kind. This Tuesday, I want to share a transformation that was much, much longer in the making. 

My Papaw and I wanted to make a fishing trip--our first one together in YEARS--before I left Kentucky for an extended stay in New Mexico. 


There's no better time than the last minute! We went yesterday, and it was the perfect way to spend my last day in Kentucky before a few weeks of sand and dry heat. 


'Twas a smidge gloomy, but Papaw guaranteed Dale Hollow Lake would be the most scenic place to fish within a reasonable driving distance, even if we happened upon a little rain.

The sun found its way out for a few minutes every now and then...resulting in a pretty gnarly nose/forehead/shoulder/chest sunburn for me.

Did I mention my younger brother came with us? This is his expression, reading the nutrition facts on the back of our lunch. 

Which was this: the classic Papaw lunch. You can't catch a fish without eating a couple "vy-ee-nees."

Good thing I had some, otherwise I might not have caught this tiny, tiny bass.

And Papaw might not have caught this ol'... shell cracker, I think he called it?

We tried night-crawlers, minnow, and artificial bait, but the big fish just weren't biting. Nevertheless, I don't think Papaw minded a day on the boat with a couple of amateurs.

We certainly enjoyed the day with the legend, himself.

So, about that transformation I mentioned earlier.
Here are some moments from past experiences with fish.

Some are very cute and sweet.... like this one in the Summer of 1994

Some are not as cute. (From the looks of those bangs, I'd say 1997-1998?)
If you're wondering why I appear to be upset, it's not because of the bangs. I didn't want to touch the dead fish.

By 2001, we had kept the bangs, added the glasses, and remedied the "touching the dead fish" problem! Take a closer look and you'll notice I'm cleverly 'pretending' to hold the fish. HAHA...GOTCHYAAAAA

I tried to get another picture with Papaw yesterday, but the sun killed our vibe.
It is safe to say Papaw and I have both changed a little over time. But, I like to think I'm still as sweet and cute as the little girl holding the fish in the summer of 1994...at least in his eyes, anyway.
(sniff...sniff)

Thank you for a perfect day, Papaw.

And Landon, here's that selfie we took.





No comments:

Post a Comment