Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Top 10 Questions Pageant Girls Get (Outside the Interview Room)


Most of my readers know by now that I compete in pageants. So, I guess that makes me a “pageant girl.” Currently I am in the final stages of preparation for my last year competing in Miss Kentucky America. I have been involved in the Miss America Organization for close to 10 years, and I would do it all over again if given the chance—I would relive all the losses, all the miles run…and walked…in heels. I’d soak up all the embarrassing moments, the nerves that, for me, have only gotten worse with time, and all the hours I spent at the piano even though it was the LAST place I wanted to be. Why? Because of the friendships I have made, the invaluable experience I’ve gained, and the confidence I’ve developed since being an out of shape 13 year old with glasses and braces. 

All of that is to say… I love answering your questions about pageants. Really, I just love to talk. You kind of HAVE to if you want to be a force in the interview room—the place where the competition is really won. And, if you’ve never worn a crown and sash out and about, you may not realize how uninhibited the public is with their questions. In the past, I have found everyone wants to know the same thing.

I wasn’t sure if this was my sole experience or if other pageant girls felt this same way. So, I asked! 

With the approval of a few pageant friends from across the United States, I think I’ve put together a pretty accurate list.  



A few of the girls who helped me out! Thank you all!
.........................

All of THIS is to say…I am a firm believer in “there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.” If I met an astronaut, I guarantee you I wouldn’t pop off even ONE question he hadn’t gotten before. Each profession or hobby comes with it’s own stereo-type and set of expectations. This list is meant to inform and aware you of what questions we not only get the most, but what answers you might hear. 

Let’s get started!

1. Do you know that girl that gave that embarrassing answer at that pageant that was on TV that one time?

Answer: Nope! I don’t. I sure wish you could see that for her one-time flub, there are countless young women knocking it out of the park every time! Next time you’re asked about current events on nationally broadcasted television, don’t choke! Or we’ll continue to relive the most embarrassing moment of your life 7 years later.

2. Some variation of: When do you start your diet? Guess you can’t eat a lot, huh? When do you stop eating? Are you eating enough? When do you get to really eat again?

Answer: I prefer not to call it a diet. I am simply changing what I eat to a healthier set of foods that help me build muscle and shed unhealthy fat. I eat the appropriate amount of calories my body needs to sustain energy through a long and busy day of school/work (for many girls, BOTH), a workout, talent rehearsal, and the errands we all have to run. I stop eating when I’m full and I aim for the recommended amount of protein, carbs, and healthy fats my body needs per meal. I eat 3-5 times a day, and if I turned down dessert at dinner, it’s probably because I had one with lunch. If my stomach growls, I reach for fruit, nuts, or a realllllly yummy Quest Bar. There are a box of thin mints stashed in the back of my freezer and I love a lean and juicy hamburger just as much as the next girl. As for that last question…ummm…my next meal?

3. If you win Miss Kentucky, you’ll go to Miss USA, right?

Answer: No, but the titles can be very confusing! I will go to Miss America. Miss USA is a different system of pageants, with a different set of requirements, run by a different set of people. 

4. Ok, so if you win Miss America, you’ll go Miss Universe?

Answer: Once again—quite confusing. Miss USA goes to Miss Universe. Miss America stays right here… (cue ‘Merica joke)

5. Are pageant girls catty? *This may be the most asked question of all time*

Answer: *This may be the most disappointing answer of all time* No…they aren’t. In fact, half of all my friendships were made through the Miss America Organization. Thanks to the National Sweetheart Pageant, I have friends in ~40 states! (ROAD TRIP!) That’s not to say there aren’t unpleasant or unfriendly contestants….just as there are unpleasant or unfriendly people walking the streets. For every “catty” pageant girl, there are at least 15 that are as sweet as pie. 

6. No offense…but you don’t really look like a pageant girl. 

Response: None taken! I know exactly what you mean by “pageant girl” — a parody that television and movies have run RIGHT into the ground. If anything, thank you for letting me know my makeup is natural, my hair can make it under the clearance bar at the McDonald’s drive-thru, and my tan (if I even have one) isn’t fake and/or orange. 

7. Do you ever wave like this? (I watch as they display the classic, cheesy “beauty queen” wave)

Answer: Let's be real... I’ve definitely practiced it in the mirror. But trust me, I looked as ridiculous as you probably felt when you showed me. I like to call my awkward, floppy-hand wave the “peasant waggle.” 

8. Is your crown real?

Answer: It’s actually a hologram. I KID! It’s okay to laugh, I used to wonder the same thing! It’s not “real” in the sense that you mean it, but it sure is pretty. Want to try it on?

9. Any quote or reference to Miss Congeniality, Toddler’s and Tiaras, or Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Answer: Deadpan look….followed by a quote of my own. I make fun of those things just like you! It’s FAKE! 



10. Why do you do pageants? Doesn’t that take the focus away from school and/or work?

Answer: Yeah, sometimes it does. That’s when the art of prioritizing and organizing come in handy. Pageant preparation is time-consuming and sometimes very exhausting. But at the end of the day, it’s worth it. I am a more self-disciplined person than ever before, which helps me excel in both educational and career fields. I know how important time-management is and how impactful first impressions are. I have the ability to switch gears at the drop of a hat, and can keep a smile on my face in the midst of chaos. I am paying for college and supplying myself with communication and networking skills not learned in the classroom. Oh, and I’ve also supplied myself with a closet full of outfits perfect for a determined young woman ready to take on the world. It may have taken me a little while to strike the perfect balance, and it’s not perfect every day, but I think I’ve got this one on lock. 

I hope you've enjoyed something a little different this week! As always, thank you for reading and I'll catch ya next Friday!


3 comments:

  1. This was fun to read.

    And that poor girl is from my state...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiley, your Popadoc was a special man. Thank you for sharing his legacy with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was supposed to be on the last post. For some reason it posted here. Sorry.

      Delete